April 1987

Another very eventful month: For Diana and I, a weekend in Brighton; for the family, a trip on The Lady cruising our favourite venues on The Great Ouse and for us all, various developments on the personal and health front. I had spent a long time preparing and renovating The Lady, had started planning my Koi Carp pool and conservatory and had the contractor already starting work on the quay-heading of my river frontage and the pool was back in action for a fine month of weather, after the flooding. The US/USSR nuclear arms talks progress was the most significant event for the world, with the risk of a trade war with Japan also significant, but in Europe the sinking of the Herald of Free Enterprise due to negligence was the most tragic. The South African regime are ever-more repressive and the Sri Lankan Tamil rebels are being attacked mercilessly

April has been a good month, but a mixed one, health wise: After a few recent problems (a bad back, cold, stomach upset, eye injury) at weekly intervals, I am now healing again and slimming to under 13 ½ stones by a good diet and the exercise from my projects. Debbie accidentally injured my eye and we spent the evening at Hinchingbrooke casualty department  and we had to give up our Cambridge Theatre Box to Di’s parents when I was unwell, but I was otherwise fine but Di was still getting some tummy pains from ovulation and still suffers with her hemorrhoids (piles). It was a trying day for her suffering with her condition, when she had the worry of our visiting French girls but more of them later.  Di and I enjoyed some outings together, just the two of us. We had a memorable trip and romantic trip to Brighton, touring our old haunts in Brighton Lanes (with me also buying High and Mighty clothes there) and surveying the surviving Palace Pier and rue the wreckage of the defunct West Pier before lunch in The Druid’s Head. On a sunny and warm day we enjoyed a family lunch at The Anchor in Tempsford  then came home to tend the kids and got ready to join Lynne and Nigel Smith at our favourite place, The Three Horseshoes at Maddingly, which was a great night. There was news of the new A1/M1 link past Huntingdon being given the go-ahead and I was also hearing of the £25.5K sale of my Linton Lordships. My mother is now out of hospital after being confined there all month. Her hip operation compete, she is now out of pain and her mobility is improving gradually. My Dad has decorated their home during her absence. No news from Freda and family.