Tuesday 8th January 1991

Diana was off to Cambridge as I worked on The Hayling View, packing away Christmas lights and then tackling the hall/utility area alarm wiring. Visits from fellow-councillors Percy and Derek this afternoon to co-ordinate our activities and then this evening to chair a joint meeting of representatives from the Village Hall and Parish Council.

Later, the heavens opened with rain and gale-force winds making conditions very unpleasant and there was a fatal rail accident at Cannon Street.

Diana decided to go to Cambridge today and I was not invited to go with her! Got up in the normal way but I was a bit late and had breakfast in my dressing gown. Della was back to school this morning for the first time after Christmas and she was keen to go in and totally un-worried. Daniel, being unwell with his cold, stayed at home for the day and seemed to perk up later. As I was home, I decided to do my chores and then some practical work to the house. I got rid of the old Christmas Tree and then took down all of the lights from the balconies and packed away the lighting sets and bulbs for next year. Then I tackled the hall/utility area, knocking away the woodwork to reveal the alarm wiring which was the first task in re-organising things there for Diana. I measured the two areas and will draw up a plan of what we intend to do and discuss it with Diana before proceeding to get the tradesmen in.

** "Read More" BELOW for the complete story **

Thursday 31st January 1991

Late to bed and to wake up this morning as I followed the Gulf war news and the Saudi ‘Liberation’ of Al Khafgi as over 1000 Iraqi military vehicles mass on the Saudi border. Di went shopping in St Neots as I waded through Council papers and then we prepared more of my books for sale.

A talk later to Little Paxton cubs and their parents on the history of the village for their "Historian Badge". Labour attacked the Tories on their economic policies and John Lewis went into receivership today due to high interest rates in the middle of an economic recession.

I was late to bed and even later to get up. I was anxious to hear the news of how the Gulf War border clashes were going and find the television and radio broadcasts quite compulsive. The Saudi's were claiming the liberation of Al Khafgi this morning and will not specify the number of casualties it took. It seems that the original Iraqi "reconnaissance in force" occupied the town and then was relieved by another, larger, armoured column which helped them to withdraw north of the town where the skirmishes continue. There is talk of a huge massing of over 1000 Iraqi military vehicles on the Saudi border and the Allies just do not understand the tactics of leaving fortified positions in a situation where the allies have total air cover. At least the Allies no longer question the bravery and commitment of Iraqi troops.

** "Read More" BELOW for the complete story **

Wednesday 30th January 1991

As the weather continued cold, chilly and quite dull, I worked sweeping leaves later but first accompanied Diana to the doctor to have her ears, nose and throat examined after constant infections and she will have a hearing test next week. Also some shopping for stationery and fishing tackle and a hair cut.

I cheered her up with a modest Little Chef meal as we are resuming diets ahead of our planned Summer US visit. A good LibDem meeting this evening to plan our forthcoming local elections.

News of the continuing battle of Al Khafgi, where some 5000 Iraqis and around 50 tanks took the Allies by surprise and occupied it

I was up quite early this morning for once having got to bed quite reasonably. Read the newspapers whilst waiting for the others to come for breakfast. The girls gone, I did a few chores at my desk and then got ready to go out with Diana. She had an appointment with the Doctor and wanted me to be there. We did the chores on the way out and then set the alarm again. It is performing very reliably now that I have worked on it, without a single false alarm so far. We had a little time to start shopping before the appointment and so went our individual ways and met up at the surgery.

** "Read More" BELOW for the complete story **

Tuesday 29th January 1991

An earlier start to tackle some Hayling View maintenance jobs today as Diana left for Cambridge; cutting up branches and then finishing my alarm changes.

Iraq were suffering land and sea attacks without their air cover as 100 of their planes are stored for safety in Iran. London club Brookes of St James's was damaged by a bomb as the Gulf-related terrorist campaign begins

A better night's sleep which allowed me to get up at a reasonable time this morning. I still had to have breakfast on my own, but I did see the girls off to school. Diana left for some shopping in Cambridge today, but I had a meeting with my electrician about the work for our hall/utility area. Coffee, a check on the news, and then the rest of an extended morning working on the alarm system upstairs and down. I made my own lunch and then went out to do my chores. Had several calls today on council business.

** "Read More" BELOW for the complete story **